Filed under Columns, Editorials

Column: Solar Roadways Offer a Safer Option

The product behind Solar Roadways are hexagonal Solar panels with LEDs and reinforced with tempered glass. Underneath the glass there are a lot of tiny LED’s that are capable of certain configurations like traffic lines, early warning symbols and are pressure sensitive so they light up when something is on the road.

With the winter weather featuring the constant freezing cold temperatures, safety is a major concern. Both on the roads and in your cars, treacherous conditions exist for Wisconsin drivers. Inches of snow and layers of ice can quickly lead to wrecked vehicles and ruined plans, but that is part of Wisconsin.

What if there was a way we could minimize road conditions such as ice or snow? Could we make roads more visible at night time by lighting up the lines in the road? Solar roadways can give us the ability to do all this and even more.

The product behind Solar Roadways are hexagonal Solar panels with LEDs and reinforced with tempered glass. Underneath the glass there are a lot of tiny LED’s that are capable of certain configurations like traffic lines, early warning symbols and are pressure sensitive so they light up when something is on the road. Not to mention the panels can be heated to melt any snow and making it impossible for ice to form on the roads. Basically the goal of these panels is to eventually replace highways, roads, parking lots, driveways and patios with Solar Panels. The best part about these road hexagons is that they are also Solar panels. Creating power that can run the roads itself. If enough roads have this technology they would even create extra power that the city can use to power other things. Solar Roadways wants to provide clean energy to the world that will provide safety and peace of mind. “We want to promote the future relationship between the people and the Earth,” wrote Julie Bursaw owner of Solar Roadways.

This idea can create capital, jobs and essentially free clean energy for all of us to use. With all the benefits of concrete and asphalt, the Department of Transportation has given the company funding to make a prototype road and prove that the idea is worth while. Let us hope we can see more progress and make the Earth a safer cleaner place with Solar Roadways.

1 Comment

One Response to “Column: Solar Roadways Offer a Safer Option”

1. Gabi Bolwerk on March 6th, 2017 1:57 PM

The idea of solar roadways is like inventing the wheel again; it could be useful in many aspects of life. Not only would they create safer roadways with fewer accidents and hazards, but they would also be able to create extra energy for the city to use. I think that we should definitely look into this more and create a movement for solar roadways.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Column:  Solar Roadways Offer a Safer Option

Columns

Column: Valentine’s Day History Gives New Meaning to Color Red

Columns

Column: Funding Your Future

Columns

Column: Serving Others to Serve Yourself

Columns

Column: End the New Year’s Resolution Stigma

Columns

Column: How To Make Music At Home

Columns

Column: The Reality of High School Life

Columns

Column: Administration Makes Freshmen Question: Why Us?

Columns

The Year I Learned What Turning 18 Really Meant In High School

Columns

Column: One Freshman’s Transition to High School

• Columns

Defining Feminism in a New Generation