Play Ground Supervisor, Food Service Representative, Lawyer: Mary Calder

Mary (center right) connecting with student one meal at a time.

Food service representative, Mary Calder, decides to improve the day of students and staff by offering smiles.

Smiles are rainbows because of their rarity and colorful nature; thus Mary is to the NHS community as a rainbow is to the sky — she can make anyone’s day. 

Mary loves to interact with students.

She has, “similar sensibilities.”

True to her positive nature, she does not enjoy disrespect.

“Just because someone is doing a food service job doesn’t mean that they are any less of a person, you don’t know what someone’s background is.”

The reason she works in the food industry because she wants a way to spend time her time with or without her son.

“I think people’s plans change.”

Plans are like flowers; they always are growing and changing.

In her youth, Mary envisions herself becoming a veterinarian. Excelling in science and chemistry, she ends up never taking a science class in college.  Because of advice, she avoids classes with challenging labels. Her courses change when she receives an undergraduate degree in international relations with a minor in German and literature.

In response, two career tracks arose:  go for her master’s in international studies or go to law school.  Eventually, she decides on law school with a focus on environmental law. Receiving her Master’s and passing the bar exam at Vermont Law School, she hasn’t practiced a single day of environmental law.

Instead, she practices family law, which she describes as, “soul-sucking work.”

Recently, she decides to return to the practice of law.

Although she mentions that she is excited to be intellectually challenged, tears form as she reflects on her her five years within this community — watching students progress.

“I am truly thankful for this opportunity. I will miss a lot of students and hope that everyone is nice to my replacement.”