Student Spreads Faith Throughout Campus

Student Spreads Faith Throughout Campus
Photo by: Ariana Brown

One week at camp during his sophomore summer, Derick Brown finds a sudden calling to his future in faith. 

Derick Brown, a senior at NHS plans to attend Moody Bible Institute, for a major in Pastoral Studies this next year in hopes of working with the youth as his profession. 

Faith is his main drive to work with young Christians. He wants to leave a lasting impact on others and their faith. 

Brown’s relationship with God is contagious, his positivity and faith rubs off on anybody he is around.

One of the reasons Brown is pursuing his career is the way role models act in his life. He says that people he meets at camp and through the Young Life organization inspire him to want to pursue Christianity as a profession

Brown describes faith as a hope and idea that God created everyone and that Jesus died for our sins so we could be in heaven one day. 

He finds that through thick and thin he remembers he is a child of God, and that gives him faith. 

Having a relationship with God is also important to him. Brown shares that a relationship with God is just like any other relationship in the world, it’s a two-way street and needs communication to thrive.

Brown says that it doesn’t have to be so formal either, it can be as little as saying a prayer to God and giving thanks, or reading a daily Bible verse online.

Brown talks about how he finds acceptance and lovingness in Christianity. 

“God will never turn you away. So as long as you make a little bit of effort to pursue a relationship, that promise will be fulfilled.” 

It’s the little things of pursuing a relationship with Christ that really strengthens faith.