• April 9Thursday, April 4 Girls Soccer - Home vs. Bay Port, 7 p.m.
  • April 9Thursday, April 4 Softball - Home vs. Kimberly, 5 p.m.
  • April 9Wednesday, April 3 Baseball - Home vs. Kimberly, 4:30 p.m.

Upcoming Events

Polls

Do you have a summer job lined up?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

10th Anniversary of Phase 1: Unify Students from all Backgrounds

The 10th Anniversary of the Special Olympics Basketball Game at NHS, held Nov. 9, brings together the community to celebrate special needs athletes.

It gives them a chance to be part of the school community just like the rest of the school community,” Mr. Chad Oeftger, coach, said.

Phase 1 has been celebrating special needs students for the last 10 years. Every year the community gathers to support and uplift athletes that are not usually recognized. The students play against a staff team, coached by math teacher Mr. Todd Jacobsen. 

It is not, however, the ability to play in front of supportive peers it is about building connections.

Building lifelong friendships is the key to all of this. Building lifelong friendships and/or building connections with their same-age peers. Inclusion – allows everyone to be a part of the school community” Oeftger said.

Even more important is the connections students of all abilities make on this night. The dedication of student-athletes participating and the student section allows a genuine connection to be built between students from all backgrounds. Neenah High School students also support them through Reach for the Stars and Unified Sports teams. 

Furthermore, in the United States, there are over 7.3 million students who fall into special education which takes up 15 percent of public school enrollment according to Pew Research, an online database that is globally recognized. N.J.S.D. has made Phase 1 an annual tradition to bring people from all backgrounds together by bridging the gap between students that fall into that 15 percent. 

Additionally, Phase 1 has brought people together for many years — (National Anthem 2022, Photo Essay 2017, Photo Gallery 2022). The 10th anniversary brings the celebration of the past and hope for the future of sports with Special Olympic athletes. 

“I feel this game gives my students a chance to be part of this great high school,” Coach Oeftger said.

Everyone deserves a chance to be included, Phase 1 unifies the student body to promote a more inclusive future.