NHS One-Act Play Achieves State

Sammy Meverden, Student of Journalism

The NHS drama club qualified for state with its one-act play, taking its show to the annual WHSFA State Theatre Festival Nov. 15-17 at Viterbo University.

This success comes as an even greater triumph considering the one-act play nearly did not run this year.

Following the departure of longtime speech teacher and director, Mrs. Jane Dix,  the future of Pickard was unclear. A director was found in time for the spring play, but there would be no teacher in the 2018-’19 school year to teach the advanced theatre studies course. Typically, the one-act is run through a classroom setting, but with no class, some improvisation was required.

In steps — Ella Eastman-Kiesow — a junior with a passion for theatre, and the motivation to accomplish anything. Inspired by the lessons she learned last year during the one-act play, she spent the summer scouring the Internet for a play of which she could be proud.

She comes across Breathless a short play by Wendy-Marie Martin. A story in three parts, about three girls named Summer, who overcome great challenges in their lives. This is a show she feels could really do well in the competition.

The next obstacle to overcome is figuring out who will be able to direct the show. With no adult directors available at the times needed to rehearse, three students must take on the responsibility. Wesley Blashka, Aly Jones, and Ella Eastman-Kiesow will each direct one-third of the play and bring their ideas together to form a play that will hopefully be competition ready.

Auditions for the show took place in mid-September, the cast list coming out shortly after. Since there was no longer a class period dedicated to rehearsal for the one-act, actors and directors alike had to juggle work, school, and the fall musical, resulting in practices at 6:30 a.m. and much later after school.

Stage crew did not become involved until nearly a week before the first competition, but the drive for success was strong, and the group worked together to build and paint a set days before sectionals.

The next two rounds of competition went by without a hitch. Critiques given at the Oshkosh sectionals were applied in time for district at Neenah to give the group an edge over the competition.

They had achieved their goal: state.

For a show to progress past district, it must be state-ready. A play that meets the qualifications is given the opportunity to perform at the Wisconsin High School State Theatre Festival. The festival has been held every year since 1930 and is an opportunity for students from all over the state to participate in workshops and showcase their talents.

The one-act this year has been about growth, and Eastman-Kiesow says that everyone has taken something meaningful away from the experience. As the cast and crew prepare to compete at state, they reflect on the lessons they learned along the way. Anything can be accomplished with the right drive and the belief that it is possible.

“I’m so happy with everything we’ve done up until this point,” says Eastman-Kiesow, who is excited to see what state will bring this year, and is confident that the one-act play will do well in the last round of competition.