New Program Available for Students Starting Second Semester

Lauren Miller, Student of Journalism

A new Global Scholar program at NHS gives current and incoming students opportunities to expand their horizons starting second semester of the 2019-’20 school year.

Coordinator of this program Mr. John Morgen discusses what this program offers for students.

“The department of education (DPI) created this certificate program for students who demonstrate a strong interest in global citizenship, rewarding them for their interest. The program encourages students to become more globally aware in a world that is more interconnected than ever,” Morgen said.

Learning. Learning. Learning.

Students are always encouraged to further their learning and this is yet another opportunity for students to do so.

In order to receive a certificate identifying one as a global scholar, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction has outlined the requirements for students to suffice.

These being, a world language must be taken four-consecutive years of a single language. Four credits in courses with global content in which one of those credits could be an additional world language. Reading eight books that have global content, followed by reflections on all of those books. Participation in school-wide global activities and a minimum of 20 global service learning hours. 

Gov. Tony Evers, former Wisconsin state superintendent, recognizes the importance of internationalizing education. “We need students who are knowledgeable about the world and who have an understanding of how other cultures work and how other people think,”  Evers said in the article  “Summit Lets Teens Have Say on Internationalizing Education” on the international division. The program is a way for students to seize an opportunity and grow their learning. 

Schools such as Appleton North, Menasha and Oshkosh West have already made this program available to their students.

“Our school is in a better position than most in the state for the abundance of course options available to complete this certificate,” Morgen said. At Neenah, students have a plethora of opportunities and avenues to successfully graduate with recognition as a global scholar. 

Students will use the skeleton of a digital portfolio to create their own personalized one; showcasing their achievements, reflections and projects. A digital portfolio can set an individual apart from other applicants when applying to college, programs, or jobs, which is a shimmering rock in a pile of dull ones.

For any students interested in partaking in this program, it will first be available on Jan. 20, 2020.