An Early Look at Valentines Day

Valentine’s Day is the one day of the year where having a special someone is coveted and being single is made much more prominent. Whether it is heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, the perfect date or a fuzzy stuffed animal, having a Valentine is all the rave.

Hundreds of years ago, Feb. 14 was declared Valentine’s Day after the Christian Saint Valentine. Starting in the 16 century townspeople in Britain were the first to exchange love letters on this day and by the 17 century all of Britain began celebrating. Shortly after, the U.S. mass-produced the first Valentine card and the day became huge for consumerism.

Feb. 14 also marks the first day of bird mating season, which is celebrated in some countries more than Valentine’s Day.

NHS students can be found often carrying boxes of chocolates and other Valentine’s Day treats on this day. Winterfest is also going to provide an opportunity for any student to celebrate the holiday with some dancing and fun. The week of  Valentine’s day is also going to include a variety of activities including trivia night, dress up days and the dance.

There is no need to worry if students happen to be walking into this festive week without a special someone, because the results from the dating survey will be sold on the days leading up to Feb. 14.

Also, if there are any students or staff with a sweet tooth, they can participate in the Culinary Club Cupcake Raffle. Tickets can be purchased for $5 from any culinary club member and include an over-sized cupcake as well as a chance to win a $50 Visa gift card.