Student Strives to Better His School with New Club

Photo by: David Murphy

Junior Tristan Yun restarted Science Olympiad, a club dedicated to doing science and math in a competitive environment. 

Layton Brandt, Student of Journalism

The time is 6:30 a.m. on a Thursday. As the world sleeps, one student is hard at work. He’s as busy as a bee setting up meetings, sending emails and trying to improve his club. This student is Tristan Yun, a junior at Neenah. This year, Tristan restarted Science Olympiad, a club dedicated to doing science and math in a competitive environment. 

He wanted to join the club in the past, but it did not exist, so he took on the responsibility of getting it started again. Getting it started again has not been an easy task. The hardest part was publicity, or getting people to want to join. Tristan did a phenomenal job; however, setting up a booth at the club fair, giving away t-shirts and getting guest speakers in the field of science.

Tristan is involved at school. In addition to starting the science olympiad team, he’s involved in math club, national honors society, key club, LAUNCH and tennis.

“Work hard; play hard.”

He believes that as long as he challenges himself, he can amount to anything he wants. He’s very involved, especially in math and science, for a reason. He wants to follow his fathers footsteps and become an orthopedic surgeon. However, he’s not doing it just because of his dad, “I want to positively impact someone’s life, I want to help.” 

His plan is to attend a four year university, go to med school, do residency and finally become a doctor. 

Tristan shares that his goal in life is to achieve something: “Before I die I want to have a sense of accomplishment.”

This statement proves why Tristan thrives.

He wants to make sure that he’s setting himself up for success. In the future, he anticipates no sense of regret.